It was great while it lasted. But it's over.

After a few years of great success buying and selling on Poshmark, I recently quit using it altogether. I was a top seller, with over 333,000 followers. I had regular repeat customers that were amazing (which is the biggest drawback to leaving the app…I loved these folks!)

But then I had a really bad customer service experience with Poshmark that caused me to wonder if all the time I was spending on the app was worth it. And it turned out that for me, it wasn't.

So I took my closet and created my own online store, Shop Stylaphile. Now I have a lot more control over what I'm selling and I don't have to pay a 20% commission to anyone. And most importantly, I don't have to deal with the following problems that caused me to quit Poshmark altogether.

Get the e-Book!

Spacer

The 4 Reasons I Quit Poshing

Spacer

Reason #1. Sellers aren't protected (or even appreciated)

Spacer

Here's the bad experience I had that was the impetus for my Poshmark departure. A Posher purchased a very unique top from my closet. It was in perfect condition. When she received it, she filed a case with Poshmark stating that the zipper didn't work. She even supposedly sent them video proof.

I always took great care to make sure every piece I sold on Poshmark was in excellent condition. If there were any flaws whatsoever, I would disclose them in my description. I certainly would never list an item with a faulty zipper. This person just received the top and either didn't like it or found out it didn't fit her and wanted her $25 back.

I responded to Poshmark and informed them that the zipper worked perfectly when it was shipped, but they sided with the buyer and returned the item to me. The first thing I did when I received the top back was check the zipper. And guess what? It worked just fine. I contacted Poshmark Support to let them know, but they never responded. So I never used Poshmark again.

Spacer

Reason #2. Lowballers

Spacer

Ugh. Lowballers are the worst. They're the reason I stopped accepting offers on Poshmark altogether. Apparently these people are only willing to pay $5 for ANYTHING in your closet, whether it's an authentic hard-to-find Coach bag or a vintage Versace dress. I got to the point where if someone offered me less than half the asking price, I would just block them. But when I found myself blocking people like a dozen times a day, I just stopped accepting offers period. I would write in my description "Final Price" and "Price is Firm." But Poshers would still offer me $5. Those folks got blocked too. If you can't be bothered to actually read the item description and respect the seller's policies, then you really shouldn't be on Poshmark.

Spacer

Reason #3. Unethical Buyers & Trolls

SpacerWhile the majority who purchased items from my closet were class-act Poshers, I did have my collective share of bad apples. These are the people who you rush to the post office for so you can get their item delivered to them ASAP, but then once they get it, they don't even bother to mark it as received. Then you have to wait 3 days for your funds to be released. Or the folks that give you a 1-star review with no specific reason. And how about the ones that give you a low rating because they didn't like the fit? Like somehow, that's your problem and not the manufacturer's?

And then there are the trolls. I found two types of trolls exist on Poshmark. There are the trolls that comment and ask a gazillion questions about an item (most of which have already been answered in the description…the one they couldn't be bothered to read). These people never buy anything and it seems their sole purpose for being on Poshmark is to waste your time.

Then there are the pervert trolls. These are men who have found Poshmark and created accounts just so they can ask you to "model" that pair of high heels or that tight dress. Again, there should be more seller protection offered by Poshmark when it comes to trolls like this.

Spacer

Reason #4: Massive Time-Suck

Spacer

The parties. The sharing. The answering questions. While I did enjoy the social aspect of meeting some really great people on Poshmark, the amount of time I was spending on the app was ridiculous. Four times a day for the parties. Sharing first thing in the morning. At midnight my husband would say "Are you still poshing?"  I suddenly realized that all the time I was spending being "social" on Poshmark was keeping me from doing other really productive things in my life, like exercising, writing, and spending quality time with friends and family.

Of course, there are several sellers on Poshmark who are crushing it…knocking it out of the park. They are making a lot of money from the time they are investing. I get that. I applaud that. I'm thrilled that for some people, it works.

It just no longer worked for me.

Line-Divider

If you want to quit Poshmark and start your own online store, click here to get the eBook now!

Line-Divider

More on Stylaphile